Outdoor Spring Activities for the Family
By Jessica Williams | The Little Gym of West Ashley
Spring has sprung! The weather is warming up which means that now is the perfect time to head outdoors with the family for some good old outdoor fun! Check out these 8 outdoor activities the whole family can enjoy.
1. Discover all that nature has to offer. Embark on a spring inspired, nature scavenger hunt! Try to find birds chirping, flowers blooming, green grass, butterflies, and bees!
2. Let’s go fly a kite! Grab a kite and pick a day that is extra windy for the most kite-flying fun. If you can’t get to a store to pick one up, try making your own with a plastic shopping bag and string.
3. Paint with mud. Embrace your child’s inner Picasso with mud painting! All you need is mud, water, and some paintbrushes for some messy fun.
4. Jump in muddy puddles. You know what they say… April Showers bring May Flowers – which means there should be plenty of puddles to jump in! Dress your child in rain boots and an outfit that they can get messy and let them have some muddy puddle fun.
5. Make your own bird feeder. Not only will your child have the opportunity to get to know the birds that are native to your area, they’ll also be helping to provide them with food and nourishment when food may be scarce! Try to make your own with a pinecone, peanut butter, and bird seed!
6. Break out the bubbles. Bubbles are fun for kids of all ages! Grab some bubbles and a bubble wand at a local store or make your own with a simple water and soap solution for hours of bubble popping fun.
7. Get gardening. Gardening is a great way to show your children how a tiny seed can grow into a fruit or vegetable that you can eat!
8. Head out on a spring picnic. Grab a blanket and some yummy sandwiches or snacks and head to a local park or the beach for a nice family picnic. Want to know the best part? You don’t have to clean dirty dishes or wipe down tables after the meal!